Thursday, June 14, 2012

Rainbow Pockets

Nearly two years ago, I started a project thinking I would make a baby play mat.  I wanted to use a rainbow warp and weft and this was magically going to line up so I would see squares of color in certain areas.  The blanket was to be a double weave with 2 inch "blocks" and I wanted to stuff the pockets to give some textural interest to the blanket.

Warped the loom (480 yarns, wow that took a long time) started weaving and saw multiple problems with my idea.  And then...the big remodel happen.  More on that in another post, but basically I stored my looms away thinking it would be 6 months at the max.


But this week I can happily say I am back at the loom!  Would love to say I am weaving like a crazy person, but all of those issue didn't resolve themselves while in storage.  Go figure.  I started with just white weft in hopes I could make at least one blanket with this warp...no.  There were some tie up problems that were easy to fix...and some warp color issues that although "easy" to fix will require re-warping the loom.  Sigh.

I did make a small sample so I could see how the fabric will behave off the loom.  Good news, I am going to be able to do the original rainbow pockets I had in mind!

The sample before washing.  Threw this beauty in the wash and dryer with a load of towels and it did great.  Nothing is a priceless heirloom here...get used to it.  The pockets puffed more during washing, but other than that there were no changes.


2 comments:

  1. So cool and impressive! I can sew a little, but...wow! this is really neat! I look forward to seeing what else comes up here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Becca! I can't sew at all :)

    ReplyDelete