Thursday, September 13, 2012

Weaving Class

I am back warping a loom again.  But this is not my loom, it is a loom at the NC State Craft Center.  I teach beginning weaving there once a semester.  It is a once a week, for six weeks class where students learn to warp, dress a loom, weave and go home with a handwoven scarf.  All in six weeks!

This fall is my 6th class.  It is always interesting to see the mixture of students ranging from college girls to grandmas (I have never had a male student, although they are welcome).  My first class was interesting since I learned to weave in a university setting and the craft center is very, very different.  I have learned a lot about teaching (it's not really for me), weaving and people interaction since then!

So favorite parts of teaching... excitement in the eyes of someone who falls in love with the motions of weaving...the students who get so consumed with sampling different patterns, colors and weights of yarns and techniques they spend our whole time experimenting and never do a "finished project"... definitively inspires me to get a 5-7 fresh weavers each semester and see how they think about weaving...set aside time at a loom for six weeks, I really loved this while my space was under renovation...finally, I have learned tons about myself and my craft by teaching weaving and finding new ways to talk about what I do.

And the not so fun...class runs from 6:30 - 9:30 at night.  To say this is late for me is a huge understatement...I drink large amounts of caffeine and then talk really fast.  It was especially hard my first class leaving a 3 month old Oliver once a week.  I am definitely a hands on learner and often wish the students could just watch me and learn...that talking, it's a killer.  I often lose my voice after the first night.  I did get a bad teacher review once...still a little bitter.

But all in all, I am so thankful for this opportunity.  I will try to post some more about my class near the end of our time.  Join us in the spring!

No comments:

Post a Comment